- Farmed Salmon: Prices on farmed salmon from all origins are moving upward. This trend is normal as demand during Lent and Mother’s Day pushes prices up. However, additional pressure is being placed on the salmon market worldwide by an algae bloom in Chile earlier in the year which caused farms to harvest fish earlier than expected. We do not expect relief until June in regards to farmed salmon prices.
- Cod: Iceland has had a temporary glitch in supply due to the Easter holiday, supply will return to normal within a week or so.
- Skrei Cod: As the annual migration comes to an end, supply will only last the next couple weeks.
- Wolf Fish: Our first shipment of H&G Wolf Fish arrived last week. This Norwegian fishery is well-managed, and recognized for its sustainable practices.
- Lake Fish: Walleye fishing has been very strong this early season. Yellow Perch opens in Ohio on May 1st. Catches should be strong in May and June. White Bass, White Perch and Whitefish have been coming in strong and expect those species to be in good supply through June.
- Sword and Tuna: Sword and Tuna supply should improve in the coming 2 weeks as fishermen fish the Full Moon of last weekend. We are expecting a good supply of Sword over the next 2 weeks and prices should be attractive as well. Tuna supply will improve, but we do not expect prices to fall as low as Sword this cycle.
- Grouper: As of April 1st, the annual Gulf of Mexico black grouper closure is over. It will take the fishermen a few weeks to bring in a steady supply.
- Mahi Mahi: The Alaskan Halibut fishery has opened with strong catches and great prices. This has driven down the prices on Canadian Atlantic caught Halibut. Expect good landings early, but supply will taper off as Wild Salmon season approaches in late May.
- Soft Crabs: We expect to see Soft Crabs starting to show in the South over the next couple of weeks. The Maryland/ Virginia season will open just before the full moon on April 29th. From here, the first strong run will continue through mid-May.
Pictured above; Parrotfish in our retail market in the Flats. Below; Santa Barbara Smokehouse Smoked Salmon on Bagel and Smoked Salmon appetizer board.