First order of business is to address our cover photos. We had the opportunity to stop in Blue Point Grille who created this beautiful oyster display. Blue Point’s happy hour is easily one of the best in the city, and the atmosphere cannot be beat. (hint: Valentine’s Day)
Although February marks the middle of winter, there is still plenty to look forward to in the upcoming month. In the fish and seafood world:
- Skrei Cod: Our first shipment arrives this week! Call ahead to order.
- The salmon market is stable to slightly up going into February. We do not see any drastic changes going into Lent but plan for a slight uptick if any change does happen.
- Black Sea Bass has been in good supply and should continue a nice run with fish landing in the Mid-Atlantic States of Maryland and Virginia as well as the Carolinas. Sizing note:
- Medium Black Bass .75-1.25lbs
- Large 1.25-2lbs
- Jumbo 2lbs and up
- We are still seeing a good volume of 5-8# Wild Striped Bass. This fish is being landed in Maryland and Virginia as well. We expect supply to be good for another few weeks at least.
- Lake Fish: Expect to see sporadic landings of ice fished Walleye from Lake Winnipeg in Canada. Also, landings of Lake Whitefish from Lake Michigan have improved.
- Clams: After a hard freeze in the South and Mid-Atlantic, clam availability is slowly making its return. However, more winter weather could lead to additional interruptions in clam producing regions.
- Halibut: The IPHC (International Pacific Halibut Commission) has set quotas for the Pacific Halibut fishery. Although most felt a quota reduction was necessary, the quota level of 2017 was again set for 2018. The season will open Saturday March 24th and continue until Nov. 7th or earlier if quotas are met.
Don’t let the grey skies and snow keep you inside. February is the perfect time to get out and explore the dining and food scene in your city. Some important dates to keep in mind:
- Fat Tuesday February 13th
- Valentine’s Day & Lent on February 14th (the perfect merger of love and fish)
- Heinen’s Chagrin Falls is hosting a Bubbles and Oysters night on February 16th Bubbles and Oysters Info
- Butcher and the Brewer’s Stout it Out Loud 2018, combines beer and oysters (a win-win in our books), holding festivities on Saturday, February 17th—- Stout it Out Info.
- Downtown Cleveland Restaurant Week runs from February 16-25, and all the heavy-hitters in Cleveland’s dining scene are participating. Follow the link for more details and events Downtown Cleveland Restaurant Week